Why the US Government has so many data centers

amuse nanog-amuse at foofus.com
Fri Mar 11 23:44:49 UTC 2016

I can confirm this. I was working at NASA when the last "data call" was put
out.  We had a room with a flight simulator in it, powered by an SGI
Onyx2.  The conversation with the auditor went like this:

Auditor *points at Onyx2*  "Is that machine shared?"
Me:  "Well yeah, the whole group uses it to..."
Auditor: *aside, to colleague* "OK, mark this room down too."

And our flight simulator lab became a data center.