Why the US Government has so many data centers

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Mar 11 17:03:43 UTC 2016

If you've wondered why the U.S. Government has so many data centers, ok I
know no one has ever asked.

The U.S. Government has an odd defintion of what is a data center, which
ends up with a lot of things no rational person would call a data center.

If you call every room with even one server a "data center," you'll end up
with tens of thousands of rooms now data centers.  With this defintiion, I
probably have two data centers in my home.  Its important because
Inspectors General auditors will go around and count things, because
that's what they do, and write reports about insane numbers of data
centers.

https://datacenters.cio.gov/optimization/

"For the purposes of this memorandum, rooms with at least one server,
providing services (whether in a production, test, stage, development, or
any other environment), are considered data centers. However, rooms
containing only routing equipment, switches, security devices (such as
firewalls), or other telecommunications components shall not be considered
data centers."