Cogent - Google - HE Fun

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 10 17:29:26 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 10, 2016, at 08:24 , Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> said:
>>> In fairness, however, this is because he is not Google’s customer, he
>>> is Google’s product.
>>
>> False supposition; Google does actually sell services as well.  $DAYJOB
>> pays Google for services, and has paid Cogent for network access.
>
> Not my assumption… Assumption included from Bill Herrin’s message…
>
>> Google, by contrast, makes no demand that Cogent pay them even though
>> you are not paying Google for service.

Guys, that would be an important distinction if Cogent were providing
Dennis with free service. They're not. Regardless of what Google does
or doesn't do, Dennis pays Cogent to connect him to the wide Internet
which emphatically includes Google. I'm sorry I said anything at all
about Dennis' relationship with Google because that is immaterial to
whether Cogent is honorably fulfilling its contract with Dennis.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us