finding whois servers, was .pro whois registry down?

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Thu Mar 10 16:07:18 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:57 AM, John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

>>> I've set up <domain>.ws.sp.am (that's ws for Whois Server) which is
>>> updated every day from a variety of sources so it's pretty accurate.
>>> It's had the right server for pro.ws.sp.am all along.
>

>> Hey, that's fantastic!
>>
>> Feature request: could you provide a human- and machine-readable one-stop
>> extract at the top-level page (ws.sp.am) ?
>

> I can make a web page, but not sure what you mean by one-stop extract.  If you mean a proxy that will do the whois lookups, no, because it'd get abused and I'd get rate limited.

Definitely not a proxy request - I know exactly what that would mean.

The goal would be to provide a unified list of the servers for each
TLD, to help people who cannot change their whois client for
administrative/political/inertia reasons, but have control over their
whois.conf, a la:

https://superuser.com/questions/758647/how-to-whois-new-tlds

So in an ideal world:

- a top-level landing page that would explain briefly what it's for, and

- a link from that top-level page to the whole list, in regex-aware,
whois.conf-compatible format

Royce