finding whois servers, was .pro whois registry down?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Mar 10 13:32:21 UTC 2016

>	_whois._tcp.pro. srv 0 100 43 whois.afilias.net.

A swell idea, but unfortunately the idea of putting SRV records in
gTLD zones makes heads at ICANN explode.  For RDAP there's a registry
at IANA but it's not populated yet and it's not obvious that registries
will be any more diligent about updating it than they are for the WHOIS
entries in the TLD database.

>If we want machines to follow referrals we have to provide them in
>appropriate forms.

<domain.whois-servers.net is OK but not updated very often.

I've set up <domain>.ws.sp.am (that's ws for Whois Server) which is
updated every day from a variety of sources so it's pretty accurate.
It's had the right server for pro.ws.sp.am all along.

R's,
John