FW: [tld-admin-poc] Fwd: Re: .pro whois registry down?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Mar 10 11:28:08 UTC 2016

Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> Additionally 'whois' is free form text.  Whois doesn't include a
> AI to workout what this free form text means so, no, there isn't a
> actual referral for a whois application to use.

Yes, the whois data format is bullshit, but there are only a few simple
referral patterns in use, so in practice following referrals works OK.

> Additionally we should be publishing where the whois server for the
> tld is in the DNS.

> 	_whois._tcp.pro. srv 0 100 43 whois.afilias.net.

That would be nice, but in practice the requirement is a whois.nic.TLD
host rather than a SRV record. And we don't really need yet another way
to find whois servers - we already have more than enough.

Tony.
Humber, Thames: East or southeast 3 or 4. Slight. Mainly fair. Moderate or
good.