Internet Exchanges supporting jumbo frames?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Mar 10 09:20:58 UTC 2016

On 10 March 2016 at 02:44, Niels Bakker <niels=nanog at bakker.net> wrote:
> You're wrong here.  The IXP switch platform cannot send ICMP Packet Too Big
> messages.  That's why everybody must agree on one MTU.

I think what was meant, no global consensus is needed, each IXP can
decide themselves what is edgeMTU and coreMTU VLAN MTU sizes in /this/
IXP. Heck, have customers vote on webpage. I guess edgeMTU obviously
will be 1500, coreMTU something else, 4470, 9000 and 9100 seem like
reasonable suspects. And to me it really isn't super important what it
is, as long as it allows tunneling overhead over edgeMTU. I would use
use the coreMTU in any IXP offering it, regardless what the exact MTU
in that IXP is.

--
  ++ytti