remote serial console (IP to Serial)

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Wed Mar 9 05:36:42 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 10:45:30AM -0900, Royce Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Hugo Slabbert <hugo at slabnet.com> wrote:
> > I'm surprised no one's mentioned freetserv[1] yet.  I haven't used them so
> > don't consider this an endorsement, but on the surface it looks to be a
> > good balance of "open / DIY" and "supportable".
..
> This is great!  A mainstream, patchable OS -- not locked into a half-baked
> OS or roll-your-own-TCP-stack hell I've seen in some remote serial and
> power devices.
..

Yes, instead of a hacked together hardwareboard, or appliance with
firmware that never gets updated stuck in SSH v1 days (old Cisco?)..
Freetserv looks interesting, but very costly once you add up the BOM.

I'd get something like a 1U ATOM server ($120 eBay) with small SSD
($18).  Runup your favorite FOSS OS, and conserver.  For more than the
single real serialport, you can most likely fit a USB hub inside
the case still, and hang a number of USB serial dongles off.

Rackmountable, maintainable, and conserver works great.