remote serial console (IP to Serial)

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Tue Mar 8 18:06:59 UTC 2016

On 03/08/2016 07:30 AM, greg whynott wrote:
>   I'd like to purchase a IP to
> Serial port device I can use for each location in the event I lock myself
> out.   The requirement would be an Ethernet port,  a serial port,  and SSH.

I've used Cisco 2500 routers for this type of service, using the AUX
port and a roll-over cable to connect to the target device.  I'm talking
2501s mostly, not the 2511 or 2508, unless you need to control more than
one device at a specific location.

Ethernet, AUX port, SSH, firewall.  Updates are sketchy, but these are
mature devices.