IPV6 planning

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 22:30:10 UTC 2016

On 5 March 2016 at 22:54, <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

> And note that there isn't any problem with a machine getting an IPv6
> address
> via SLAAC *and* getting another one via DHCPv6 - my laptop is doing that
> as I
> type (plus a privacy address or two as well).

That is what our CPEs (from Inteno) do. Every computer has a DHCPv6
assigned address that is short and easy (my laptop has 2a00:7660:5c6::30e).
The DHCPv6 assigned address is also stable. In the CPE admin website the
user can pick the computer (DHCPv6 assigned address) from a dropdown when
configuring inbound firewall rules. It is very easy to eg. allow SSH to my
laptop by using this feature.

But every computer also have SLAAC and usually with privacy extensions. My
laptop prefers the SLAAC/privacy address for outgoing connections. So I am
not as easily tracked as if the computer used the DHCPv6 address. Currently
my outgoing connections are from 2a00:7660:5c6::bd7d:624c:2d8c:c8d0 but
this will change shortly to something new and random.

Short and stable for inbound, random for outbound.

Regards,

Baldur