BGP MVPN RFC6513, Section 10

Jason Iannone jason.iannone at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 19:50:07 UTC 2016

Thanks for responding.  What's interesting is that even though no
listener joins to RP, one must be configured for PIM Sparse Mode ASM
to function.  I suppose this is a result of MVPN outsmarting PIM.

In my testing so far, generating a working flow with rpt-spt is much
faster than spt-only.  I suspect this has to do with the conditional
nature of the Type 7 Join which waits for receipt of a Type 5 SA
before signaling interest upstream.  spt-only mode seems objectively
superior to rpt-spt in every other way.

Jason