AWS Direct Connect - Peering VPCs to Tier 1's and MPLS

Michael O'Connor moc at es.net
Wed Mar 2 14:40:03 UTC 2016

ESnet employs MPLS virtual circuits from our customer sites to VLANs
connecting over DX cross connects in US-EAST and US-WEST regions. Exploring
the DX provider paradigm we have demonstrated that the billing of the DX
network service can be billed to the provider with the compute costs billed
directly to the customer. In this way a network provider can cover the
shared network resource cost, if desired.

While the carrier does provision EBGP, in our use case it was only used for
monitoring not for exchanging routes. Each of our customers provision both
a public and private/VPC EBGP peering, see public and private DX services.

This gets interesting when you realized the routes advertised by AWS differ
by geographic region in the public Internet case and when peering with DX
AWS advertises a much larger table and recommends that end sites build
policies based on the information in this link:

https://ip-ranges.amazonaws.com/ip-ranges.json

At some point your DX customers will need to make the decision to prefer
the public AWS route prefixes that you export to them or those received
directly from their DX public EBGP service.

-Mike O'Connor

--
Michael O'Connor
ESnet Network Engineering