About inetnum "ownership"

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 1 23:47:56 UTC 2016

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 08:50 , Naslund, Steve <SNaslund at medline.com> wrote:
>
> Oh, and I forgot to add...the number in and of itself does not have a value.  The right to use that number within the Internet connected network is what has value.

But that’s not what RIRs give you.

RIRs have no control over your right to use the number within the context of any network.

RIRs merely provide a record of unique registrations among cooperating registries.

Most network operators currently use this database as a basis for granting permissions to use the numbers within their network contexts, but any network operator that wants to is free to assign any number they wish to any purpose or entity they so choose. Your network, your rules.

Turns out, that since most network operators follow the RIR database, it’s hard to find peers that will accept your announcement of “off-list” usage of addresses, but that’s not an inherent right conveyed in the registration of an address within the RIR system.

Owen