MetroE and Telephone Taxes

Sam Norris Sam at SanDiegoBroadband.com
Tue Mar 1 00:20:44 UTC 2016

Hey all,

My provider here in SoCal is charging me 8% or so telephone taxes on our MetroE
products.  This seems fishy to me and I can't find any cut and dry rules about
private Ethernet / MetroE being under these rules.  The same provider selling
internet / DIA has no taxes whatsoever.

Anyone out there getting charged ULS and other telephone taxes on MetroE
circuits?  Or can anyone point me to somewhere that shows that it shouldn't be
charged telephone taxes?  Assume there are no voip calls traversing these
circuits.  I believe ULS is Federal, the other 3-5% is CA taxes on CLECs.

Thx,
Sam