Real world power consumption of a 7604-S or 7606-S

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 00:35:05 UTC 2016

Yes, very much agreed, part of the reason why I'm looking to do the watts
per linecard calculation is to illustrate how it's not healthy except in
certain places. As an edge aggregation device in a very small city in a
rural western US state where the electricity is 6 cents/kWh, the 24x7 load
from a 7604 that eats 950W with supervisors and a 6724SFP linecard is not
so terrible. In this case the colo space for a 42U rack is sometimes
literally free.

In a IX point/datacenter/colocation environment where rack and power costs
real money, not so much.