Quick question regarding: Problematic IPv6 Multicast traffic within an IX.

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 01:54:54 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 6:29 AM, Bruce Simpson <bms at fastmail.net> wrote:

> On 24/06/16 18:31, joel jaeggli wrote:
>
>> you can filter multicast destination addresses by acl.
>>
>> NDP you kinda need since it replaces ARP
>>
>> RA's you can and should filter (icmp6 type 134)
>>

> Data point, although the chances of you using this kit in an IX are slim
> to none: The HPE-badged H3C workgroup switches are problematic to configure
> this for.
>
> 1) The web GUI is woefully unable to do it right, and HP do not officially
> sanction the use of the CLI.

​haha! you said gui and switch configuration...

Errm, 'do not officially sanction the use of the CLI' ? Did you promptly
'not officially sanction their use in your nettwork?' If not, I think I see
your problem...​

> 2) IPv6 packet ACLs only appear to be supported per-port on *ingress*.

​I think this might actually be the case for quite a few
devices/manufacturers actually. It's nice that for mcast on v6 you actually
mostly care about that on ingress though :)​