IPv4 Legacy assignment frustration

Alastair Johnson aj at sneep.net
Wed Jun 22 13:44:34 UTC 2016

On 6/22/16 6:36 AM, Spurling, Shannon wrote:
> It’s a problem with the miss-use of the RIR delegation of a legacy
> block.
>
> The assumption that because a block is assigned to a particular RIR,
> all users in that block have to be in that RIR’s territory, without
> actually running a query against that RIR’s Whois database.

I don't think it's an RIR / RIR-related problem, just - as you said - a
short-sighted security practice.

Operators that connect to the Internet and then decide "OMG, Asia is
evil" are fairly frustrating. This has caused me a number of problems
for decades, as AU/NZ are fairly frequent trading partners of USA and I
have frequently run into this attitude.