IP and Optical domains?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jun 21 06:27:13 UTC 2016

On 20/Jun/16 22:38, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> I don't deny L2 exist, though, if L3 protocols were properly
> designed, L2 protection is not required.

I'd like to hear your proposals on how Layer 3 protocols can be better
designed to manage transport characteristics.

> That's L1, which is also required to exist.

It's Layer 1 and Layer 2. Ethernet is running over those optics, albeit
with no "traditional" optical equipment in between.

> So, you deny the original point of "The result of this is that the
> networks are heavily underutilized". OK.

Under- or over-utilization means different things to different people.

We upgrade at 50% utilization. Others do it at 70% utilization. Others
do it at 100% utilization. Heck, I know some that do it at 40% utilization.

Since not all operations are the same, I can't tell another person what
I think under- or over-utilization is.

Mark.