Netflix banning HE tunnels

Donn Lasher D.Lasher at f5.com
Tue Jun 21 00:45:49 UTC 2016

On 6/20/16, 1:45 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Mark Andrews" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of marka at isc.org> wrote:

>For a lot of homes it actually makes sense.  You laptops are safe
>as they are designed to be connected directly to the Internet.  We
>do this all the time.  Similarly phone and tablets are designed to
>be directly connected to the Internet.  I know that lots of us do
>this all the time.  Think about what happens at conferences.  There
>is no firewall there to save you but we all regularly connect our
>devices to the conference networks.
>
>Lots of other stuff is also designed to be directly connected to
>the Internet.

I’m sorry, but this just isn’t the reality of consumer devices. Expecting your off-the-shelf computer, video player, tv, fridge, etc, to be safe on public IP addresses is.. Unwise at best. Search any publicly available security list for dozens of known vulnerabilities in those devices, to say nothing of the private exploit databases.

To place them there, have them be owned, crash, or better yet, stream your midnight-milk-and-cookies-run-in-your-superman-undies to the public internet, and then expect the vendors to be responsible… is not a realistic expectation.