NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 20 23:03:54 UTC 2016

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 09:03 , David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
>
> Owen,
>
> On Jun 17, 2016, at 1:20 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>> On Jun 16, 2016, at 06:03 , Ca By <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps it is me and my sensibilities, perhaps it  is my miser corp culture, but i could not even dream of asking to go to Jamaica (arin area) for the last ARIN meeting.
>>
>> You are entitled to your opinion.
>>
>> If ARIN didn’t exist, how would you go about guaranteeing unique registered GUA blocks and ASNs? Who would operate whois and in-addr.arpa, ip6.arpa?
>
> ICANN operates in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa.

Technically you are right, sort of.

ICANN takes the data supplied by the RIRs and compiles it into zone files which are then distributed to servers.

AIUI, most of the servers are hosted and maintained by the RIRs. Most if not all of the zone file information is supplied to ICANN by the RIRs.

I stand by my statement to the extent that it is close enough for the purposes for which it was made.

Without the RIR, ICANN’s idea of what should go into ip6.arpa and in-addr.arp would get pretty stale pretty fast. Of course, that wouldn’t matter because AIUI, without the servers being supplied, hosted, maintained by the RIRs, it would also be fairly invisible as well. But keep those ICANN delusions of grandeur coming.

Owen