1GE L3 aggregation

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 19:55:09 UTC 2016

On 18 June 2016 at 13:04, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> We push IP/MPLS all the way into the Metro-E Access using a team of
> Cisco ASR920's and ME3600X's. The value of being able to instantiate an
> IP service or BGP session directly in the Metro-E Access simplifies
> network operations a great deal for us. Needless to say, not having to
> deal with eBGP Multi-Hop drama does not hurt.

Just want to point out that there is no eBGP multi-hop involved. These are
L2 tunnels so the devices appear to be directly connected on the layer 3
level.

The advantage of using L2VPN is that you can connect the customer to
whatever can handle the requirements. You are not limited to what your
access edge devices can do. 99% of our customers are not BGP customers, so
it would be silly to spend cash on equipment that will support full table
BGP at each PoP.

The major downside is a) hops are invisible to traceroute, b) some traffic
might travel longer than necessary.

We are a residential ISP and we find that traffic between customers is
minimal. We choose to accept that traffic between two neighbors might be
backhauled to a central location and back instead of staying local.

Regards,

Baldur