NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Fri Jun 17 17:31:10 UTC 2016

On 6/17/16 07:59, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> IMHO in building fiber should be NRC only, but if it has a MRC component
> (to pay for future troubleshooting or somesuch) it should be small, like
> $5/mo.  That's $60 year to do nothing, and even if the $40 an hour fiber
> tech spends a hour troubleshooting _every fiber_ (which doesn't happen)
> the colo still makes money.

I would expect some kind of MRC if it has any SLA, service, or support
attached. Or someone manages it and protects the infrastructure and
enforces the rules of the facility. Or the facility uses that money to
maintain the MMR. If it's a free for all where anyone can accidentally
unplug it or cut it or rummage around in the overhead causing damage
then free is fine. What I don't accept is variable pricing depending on
what the xconnect is carrying or what it's for. I don't buy into the
thought process that an xconnect is more expensive if it's carrying
10GbE vs. GigE when they're both SMF.

~Seth