NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

Marty Strong marty at cloudflare.com
Fri Jun 17 13:58:12 UTC 2016

> It moves the monopoly to the IXP operator!

I disagree, if there is only one *MAIN* building that an IXP is in then participants are going to have to go to that building, giving the colo provider the monopoly, which affects not just cross connects towards and IXP, but other participants too, that you might want to connect directly to.

Yes, if the IXP is distributed across more than one building then you have choice as to where you (and other people) put their equipment, so you may have to go to another building to connect to certain peers. Sadly nobody lives in a perfect world, so IMO having the IXP distributed across multiple buildings is better as you can connect to all those who are in your building directly, and peer with the rest over the distributed IXP.

Regards,
Marty Strong
CloudFlare - AS13335
Network Engineer