NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue Jun 14 17:40:20 UTC 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016, William Herrin wrote:

> Anyway, not a fan of dancing on eggshells. If something deserves to be
> said, it should be said. If we can't take a little honesty, we're in
> the wrong line of work.

  Yes! Though the "Hey that was negative! Don't say negative things about
  me!" mentality is not specific to our industry, but the American culture.

  As I parent, I see this every day with children -- parents dealing with
  everything that could be considered unpleasant on behalf of their child,
  and blaming others (teachers, other kids, other parents, solar flares)
  rather than taking on personal ownership of sometimes negative and
  complicated issues.

  Negative feedback, respectfully and objectively delivered, should be
  embraced as opportunities to improve ourselves, our products and our
  services, not shunned and silenced because it points out a flaw.