RPKI and offline routes

Matthias Waehlisch m.waehlisch at fu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 13 22:53:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

  the creation of a ROA does not require the announcement of the prefix.
Creation of a ROA, prefix announcement, and validation of the prefix are
decoupled. If you are the legitimate resource holder you can create a
ROA for this prefix (even if you don't advertise the prefix). As soon as
the prefix is advertised, third parties can validate based on the
created ROA.

  However, in case the hijacker is able to use the legitimate origin
ASN, the validation outcome would be valid. You would need to assign the
prefix to an ASN that cannot be hijacked or is dropped for other
reasons. (Or do BGPsec. ;)

Cheers
  matthias