Netflix banning HE tunnels

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jun 9 23:17:37 UTC 2016

In message <op.yita8coctfhldh at rbeam.xactional.com>, "Ricky Beam" writes:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 13:32:24 -0400, Adam Rothschild <asr at latency.net>
> wrote:
> > How can we, as a community, help move the needle
> > on v6 deployment on broadband networks, in cases where competitive
> > forces and market pressure don't exist?
>
> You left out "consumer demand". And I would add consumer knowledge as well
> -- there won't be any demand until one knows to ask (it's cablecards all
> over again.) There are 7 billion people on Earth. I suspect it's a stretch
> to say even 100,000 of them understand IPv6. While there are a few ISPs
> who "have" IPv6, many of them have done so mostly for show -- World IPv6
> Day marketing ploy[*].

The average consumer wants a "internet connection".  They don't
care if it is IPv4, IPv6 or IPvX.  They just want the bits to move.
What will happen is that as CGN starts to break things for people
like gamers they will start asking for IPv6, like us network geeks
ask for IPv6.

The average consumer doesn't know what they have been sold does not
deliver a real internet connection where every every machine is
addressable.

That being said, those who know what a internet connection should
be delivering should be advocating for the real deal.  It is our
ethical responsability to do this for our customers.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org