Netflix banning HE tunnels

Adam Rothschild asr at latency.net
Thu Jun 9 17:32:24 UTC 2016

I think tunnelbroker.net is an great community service, and a
significant factor in global IPv6 adoption.  For one, it's allowed me
to experiment with v6 from my home ~5 miles from NYC, where there are
still no options for native connectivity.  Hats off to Mike and the
entire HE team for maintaining this excellent resource, without much
thanks or compensation.

With that said, it's not perfect.  Licensing restrictions aside, I can
appreciate a content provider prohibiting some tunneled connections,
out of basic QoE concern.  Even if they're able to manage their path
to the tunnel endpoint, they have no visibility into the connection
between the broadband eyeball and the endpoint, which could
be/commonly is a point of saturation.  As best I can tell, there isn't
even a direct adjacency between 2906 and 6939, further obfuscating
things.  While Happy Eyeballs (carefully not abbreviating as "HE" to
add to confusion :-) certainly helps, it's not a panacea for dealing
with intermittent loss issues, nor is it fully supported on a broad
spectrum of client implementations.

Rather than debate the relative merits and production-readiness of a
free tunneling service, we should ask ourselves why this is still a
thing, here in 2016.  How can we, as a community, help move the needle
on v6 deployment on broadband networks, in cases where competitive
forces and market pressure don't exist?

$0.02,
-a