Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 8 16:12:23 UTC 2016

> On Jun 7, 2016, at 10:22 AM, Ca By <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2016, Cryptographrix <cryptographrix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As I said to Netflix's tech support - if they advocate for people to turn
>> off IPv6 on their end, maybe Netflix should stop supporting it on their
>> end.
>>
>> It's in the air whether it's just an HE tunnel issue or an IPv6 issue at
>> the moment, and if their tech support is telling people to turn off IPv6,
>> maybe they should just instead remove their AAAA records.
>>
>> (or fail back to ipv4 when v6 looks like a tunnel)
>>

> I think you need to reset your expectations of a free tunnel service.
>
> he.net tunnels are a toy for geeks looking to play with v6. In terms of
> Netflix subcriber base, it is amazing insignificant number of users.

If it’s so insignificant, why did Netflix go to the effort to implement blocking
based on address ranges associated with those tunnels?

> At the end of the day, anonymous tunnels, just like linux, are not
> supported by Netflix. And, he.net tunnel users are hurting ipv6 overall
> just like 6to4 by injecting FUD and other nonesense complexity.... For a
> toy.

I disagree.

Calling he.net tunnels a toy is absurd.

It’s a link, just like any other link, over which IPv6 can be transmitted.
You can argue that it’s a lower quality link than some alternatives, but I have
to tell you I’ve gotten much more reliable service at higher bandwidth from
that link than from my T-Mobile LTE service, so I’d argue that it is a higher
quality service than T-Mobile.

It’s not the only link I have for my IPv6 packets, in fact, it is one of three links
over which my IPv6 packets are able to travel.

> Move on to a real issue instead of beating this dead horse.

So we should start beating on unreliable LTE services instead? ;-)

Owen