Netflix banning HE tunnels

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 14:42:25 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of Elvis Daniel Velea
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 6:36 PM
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: Netflix banning HE tunnels

Netflix, YOU are the ones forcing people to turn IPv4 off... this is just insane. tens (if not hundred) of thousands of people chose to use HE tunnels because their ISP does not offer IPv6..
do you really expect all of them to turn it off? do you really want IPv6 usage in the world to go down by a few percent because you are unable to figure out how to serve content?
I hate to say it, but I'm willing to bet that for every one person who setup an HE tunnel to get functional IPv6 ahead of native via ISP, there are probably 10 who set it up solely to get around geo-lockout.  Honestly though, is there any reason the Netflix 'client' as part of its login can't be queried for an IPv4 address if Netflix sees (or thinks) a tunnel is involved?  If there is a tunnel involved, you most likely have IPv4 access on the client.  Then do a geo-lookup on the IPv4.  I guess the ~500 people on NANOG using HE to get to NetFlix could all cancel their subscriptions, but that's just a drop of water in the bucket.  It sucks.  The true jerks who used HE to bypass geo-lockout probably changed to something else the next day.  But we suffer still.  The FCC or some other federal entity probably needs to step in.

Chuck