Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Tue Jun 7 21:59:22 UTC 2016

<I will get to the point...>

Some of this reminds me of talking to IBM the the other day about
problems I was having with their "Rapport Trusteer" security package
which one of my banks requires to be running when I try to log in.

<I will get to the point...>

Invariably the bank claims it's not running, I restart it that
software, still no-go, the error msg offers to re-download and
install, I do (sometimes that's their "clever" way of saying your
version is out of date, why not just say that? who knows), it says to
complete you must reboot...hey I just wanted a bank balance, one
number, I have all these spread sheets open etc now I have to reboot
to get that???

It took over an hour until I got that bank balance. And this happens
every other time.

<I will get to the point...>

  (I KNOW change banks, I'm getting there, this is biz banking so not
   all that simple. And more banks are using this particular drek.)

<I will get to the point...>

So IBM support calls me back and this person starts explaining to me
about drivers and DLLs and how it takes a reboot, standard stuff, why
don't you just schedule a reboot every night (HUH? I'm not kidding!)
etc.

<THE POINT>

Finally I interrupt him and say NOT MY PROBLEM!

I just want my bank balance.

I don't care about drivers, I don't care about DLLs, I don't care
about why my bank may have chosen this security package, I don't care
about your problems with Microsoft's operating system or how your
software works...

Not...my...problem.

A lot of this netflix conversation is similar, suddenly we all have to
be empathetic to their licensing challenges and understand the
intricacies of regional licensing and how it can be affected by VPN
usage etc.

Not...my...problem. Ya got what I want, OR NOT?

There really is a point where one can make themselves completely nuts
trying to gain perspective into why you're not simply getting what you
believe you showed up as a customer for and see it as a long-winded
way of saying well, you won't get anything for your money, but for a
very good reason, have a seat and we'll explain...what a shell game!

<Nearly Irrelevant P.S.>

P.S. I don't sub to netflix and never have because their selection
never seemed interesting to me not that I can be sure because you
can't really browse it UNLESS you're a customer (clever marketing!)
but some people publish "unauthorized" lists and it looked like
exactly the sort of stuff I avoid, rom-coms, junk comedies, nothing
before about 2000 (I like old movies), etc.

YMMV.

Ok, go ahead and tell me how difficult it would be for them to get
licensing to the sorts of movies I would like...I don't care! Gak!

  ``No one's ever wanted a 1/4" drill-bit, all they ever wanted was a
   1/4" hole''

--
        -Barry Shein