syslog server

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jun 7 06:25:12 UTC 2016

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 14:59:51 -0600, Maximino Velazquez said:
> What is the best syslog server  (opensource)?

Step 0:  Define what "best" means in your environment.

What features do you need?  Routing to a central aggregation server over TLS?
Powerful regex-based routing?  Ingestion into a database (a la splunk or Elk)
for data mining?  Ability to deal with insanely high message rates? Other
must-have or don't-care features?  License pricing? Vendor support?

Step 1:  After figuring out what you need, make a matrix of the available
options and how well they fit.

(We have in production syslog-ng, rsyslog, splunk, Elk, and probably a few
others I've forgotten, for different purposes....)