Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 23:08:58 UTC 2016

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 15:44:14 -0400, <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> And if Netflix can't be bothered to consult rwhois
> for the ownership (which could be used for other use cases as well), they
> certainly aren't going to do *new* code as a one-off.

Said by someone who's never written (r)whois parsers. There's no standard,
you don't know who's running one, and God knows what it's going to spit
out. It's hard enough to simply know who to ask. (see also: jwhois)
Parsing whatever junk gets sent back almost requires an AI.

Yes, ARIN and RIPE have REST APIs, but they're completely different
interfaces with different schemas (and different capabilities.) I have
independent applications for talking to each. And those are the only two
I'm going to bother with.

HE doesn't do a GeoIP lookup for the location of your v4 address and
update their rwhois information every time your tunnel endpoint changes.
Even if they did, Netflix would have to query that for every connection
attempt to make sure you haven't moved it. That's never going to happen.

--Ricky