Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 6 17:57:23 UTC 2016

> On Jun 5, 2016, at 16:45 , Damian Menscher <menscher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Laszlo Hanyecz <laszlo at heliacal.net <mailto:laszlo at heliacal.net>> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-06-05 22:48, Damian Menscher wrote:
>>

>>> What *is* standard about them?  My earliest training as a sysadmin taught
>>> me that any time you switch away from a default setting, you're venturing
>>> into the unknown.  Your config is no longer well-tested; you may
>>> experience
>>> strange errors; nobody else will have seen the same bugs.
>>>
>>> That's exactly what's happening here -- people are setting up IPv6 tunnel
>>> broker connections, then complaining that there are unexpected side
>>> effects.
>>>

>> There are a lot of non technical Netflix users who are being told to turn
>> off IPv6, switch ISPs, get a new VPN, etc. because Netflix has a broken
>> system.  Those users don't care what IPv6 is, they just learn that it's bad
>> because it breaks Netflix.  Most users have no way to change these things
>> and they just aren't going to be able to use Netflix anymore.
>

> Who are these non-technical Netflix users who accidentally stumbled into
> having a HE tunnel broker connection without their knowledge?  I wasn't
> aware this sort of thing could happen without user consent, and would like
> to know if I'm wrong.  Only thing I can imagine is if ISPs are using HE as
> a form of CGN.

I don’t know if it ever actually happened or not, but I do know that there
were router vendors considering implementing automated Tunnel-broker IPv6
connectivity in instances where native IPv6 was unavailable.

All of the API hooks necessary to do so are available in Tunnel Broker.

So, it is quite possible that this has happened or will happen in the future.

> Another question: what benefit does one get from having a HE tunnel broker
> connection?  Is it just geek points, or is there a practical benefit too?

One can reach IPv6-only content which while a tiny fraction of content today will,
by definition be a growing fraction of content in the future.

Owen