Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Laszlo Hanyecz laszlo at heliacal.net
Mon Jun 6 16:01:29 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-06 15:21, Tore Anderson wrote:

> But Netflix shouldn't have any need to ask in the first place. Their
> customers need to log in to their own personal accounts in order to
> access any content, when they do Netflix can discover their addresses.
>
> Tore

Hey there's an idea, how about they ASK the users where they are
located, instead of telling them where they are located.  Presumably a
user will have a new billing address when they move to a new place.
That ought to be a lot more accurate than lookup based on a static map
of number -> location.  I don't think this is too crazy of an idea.. my
car insurance company asks me what zip code I keep my cars in.  Netflix
could ask people what zip code they watch video from.

-Laszlo