Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Mon Jun 6 15:21:23 UTC 2016

* Spencer Ryan

> As an addendum to this and what someone said earlier about the
> tunnels not being anonymous: From Netflix's perspective they are. Yes
> HE knows who controls which tunnel, but if Netflix went to HE and
> said "Tell me what user has xxxxx/48" HE would say "No". Thus, making
> them an effective anonymous VPN service from Netflix's perspective.

Every ISP would say «No» to that question. In sane juridstictions only
law enforcement has any chance of getting that answer (hopefully only if
they have a valid mandate from some kind of court).

But Netflix shouldn't have any need to ask in the first place. Their
customers need to log in to their own personal accounts in order to
access any content, when they do Netflix can discover their addresses.

Tore