Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Laszlo Hanyecz laszlo at heliacal.net
Mon Jun 6 00:15:51 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-05 23:45, Damian Menscher wrote:
> Who are these non-technical Netflix users who accidentally stumbled
> into having a HE tunnel broker connection without their knowledge?  I
> wasn't aware this sort of thing could happen without user consent, and
> would like to know if I'm wrong.  Only thing I can imagine is if ISPs
> are using HE as a form of CGN.
>
> Another question: what benefit does one get from having a HE tunnel
> broker connection?  Is it just geek points, or is there a practical
> benefit too?
>
> Damian

Well, you could use the HE.net tunnels to work around the problem if
their GeoIP checks block you in the first place.
HE.net tunnelbroker is commonly used by home users on ISPs which don't
provide v6 on their own, like Verizon's fios.  Home routers generally
have support for this built in and it doesn't take someone with a lot of
technical knowledge to set it up.

You can also set up BGP with HE and they will give you free transit on
the free tunnel and accept your announcements.  Personally I have set it
up with and without BGP at small office locations as a way to provide
IPv6 to the office workers, when only v4 was available.  You just click
to get a HE.net /48.

For P2P stuff it's a way to get around NAT - you can get inbound torrent
connections or host a shooting game match on your desktop behind the NAT
router.

-Laszlo