Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Damian Menscher menscher at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 23:45:56 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Laszlo Hanyecz <laszlo at heliacal.net> wrote:

> On 2016-06-05 22:48, Damian Menscher wrote:
>

>> What *is* standard about them?  My earliest training as a sysadmin taught
>> me that any time you switch away from a default setting, you're venturing
>> into the unknown.  Your config is no longer well-tested; you may
>> experience
>> strange errors; nobody else will have seen the same bugs.
>>
>> That's exactly what's happening here -- people are setting up IPv6 tunnel
>> broker connections, then complaining that there are unexpected side
>> effects.
>>

> There are a lot of non technical Netflix users who are being told to turn
> off IPv6, switch ISPs, get a new VPN, etc. because Netflix has a broken
> system.  Those users don't care what IPv6 is, they just learn that it's bad
> because it breaks Netflix.  Most users have no way to change these things
> and they just aren't going to be able to use Netflix anymore.

Who are these non-technical Netflix users who accidentally stumbled into
having a HE tunnel broker connection without their knowledge?  I wasn't
aware this sort of thing could happen without user consent, and would like
to know if I'm wrong.  Only thing I can imagine is if ISPs are using HE as
a form of CGN.

Another question: what benefit does one get from having a HE tunnel broker
connection?  Is it just geek points, or is there a practical benefit too?

Damian