Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 22:03:49 UTC 2016

>From a network operational perspective we are only seeing the tip of the
iceberg. There are vast hordes of lawyers and MBA types employed by the
largest content creators (TV channels, movie studios) which negotiate
agreements with Netflix and similar services.

 Unless you happen to be a sysadmin inside one of these entities with
access to the contracts and documents, all of this is totally opaque from a
network engineering viewpoint.

I do not think the contractual requirement to *attempt* to block VPN
traffic will change until a significantly larger percentage of US customers
abandon paying for their cable TV & satellite TV monthly packages.