Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Fri Jun 3 21:51:38 UTC 2016

Actually it's time for Netflix to get out of the network transport business and tell the content providers to get over it or not get carried on Netflix.  It used to be that Netflix needed content providers, now I am starting to believe it might be the other way around.  Netflix might have to take a page from the satellite guys and start calling them out publicly.  i.e. "Netflix will no longer be able to provide you with Warner Bros. content because they are dinosaurs that are worried that someone might be watching in the wrong country.  We are pleased to offer you content from producers that are not complete morons...."

As the content producers lose more and more control over the distribution channel they are going to take whatever terms are necessary to get them on Netflix, Apple TV, Comcast, Time Warner, DirecTV and Dish.  If you are not on any or all of those platforms, you are going to be dead meat.   Who would be hurt worse, Netflix or the movie producer that got seen nowhere on their latest film.  To me, this is the last gasp of an industry that lost control of its distribution channel years ago and is still trying to impose that control.

Steven Naslund