Turning Off IPv6 for Good (was Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed)

Michael Brown michael at supermathie.net
Fri Jun 3 02:36:06 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-01 11:41 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>  Turns out it has nothing to do with my IPv4 connectivity. Neither of
> my ISPs has native IPv6 connectivity, so both require tunnels (one of
> them to HE.net, one to the ISPs own tunnel broker), and both appear to
> be detected as a non-permitted VPN. As an early IPv6 adopter, I've had
> IPv6 on all my household devices for years now.
>
>  So after having to temporarily turn off IPv6 at my desktop to fix
> issues with pay.gov (FCC license payments), and issues with various
> other things, and then remember to turn it back on again... I now have
> the reason I've been waiting for to turn it off globally for the whole
> house.
Wish I read this thread earlier. Damn. I just went through the whole
useless process myself with an ineffectual support rep…

«
> But if the system is telling you that error code, it is a setting on
the local network, call your ISP, they can assist you on that issue.

Oh right. RIGHT. I'm SURE they'll be able to help.
»

…and I came to the same conclusion and similar resolution (adding an
outbound rule rejecting traffic to 2620:108:700f::/48, causing fallback
to IPv4 worked for me).

At least I got the support rep to SAY he opened a ticket.

Wow! It's my chance to be the noisy minority!

M.

--
Michael Brown            | The true sysadmin does not adjust his behaviour
Systems Administrator    | to fit the machine.  He adjusts the machine