IPv6 is better than ipv4

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 2 18:57:54 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>> do we REALLY think it's still just /marketing problem/ that keeps v6
>> deployment on the slow-boat?
> Yes.

I have a confession: I don't use IPv6.

I don't use IPv6 at home because:

1. My Verizon FiOS link does not support IPv6.
2. My Cox Cable Internet link does not support IPv6.
3. The colo I tunnel to in order to announce my addresses via BGP does
not support IPv6.
4. IPv6 does not offer me enough value to pony up the $500 initial and
$100/year ARIN fees I would have to pay in order to have parity with
my IPv4 installation, at least not until my other vendors support it.

I don't use IPv6 at work because:

1. My employer moved half of everything to the Amazon cloud. AWS does
not support IPv6.
2. My employer moved the other half of everything to various software
as a service vendors, none of whom implement IPv6.

Marketing problem? If it won't work with -any- of the vendors I do
business with, that's not a marketing problem.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us