Tracking traffic usage at router or switch port?

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Wed Jun 1 18:08:15 UTC 2016

The reason there can be a (small) difference between those two test points is encapsulation overhead. If the provider is counting traffic that is still in an MPLS envelope, it will count more bytes than it will after the traffic has been stripped down to just the Ethernet frame on the switch port. This isn’t a big deal for large packets, but for small packets, such as those used for streaming protocol (e.g., VoIP) the percentage of overhead can be as high as 15%.

 -mel