Root Zone DNSSEC Operational Update -- ZSK length change

Wessels, Duane dwessels at verisign.com
Thu Jul 28 22:37:39 UTC 2016

As you may know, Verisign, in its role as the Root Zone Maintainer
is also the operator of the root zone Zone Signing Key (ZSK).  Later
this year, we will increase the size of the ZSK from 1024-bits to
2048-bits.

The root zone ZSK is normally rolled every calendar quarter, as per
our “DNSSEC Practice Statement for the Root Zone ZSK operator.”[1]
The ZSK public keys are signed at quarterly key signing ceremonies
by ICANN in its role as the IANA Functions Operator.

On September 20, 2016 the 2048-bit ZSK will be pre-published in the
root zone, following the standard ZSK rollover procedure.  We intend
to begin publishing root zones signed with the first 2048-bit ZSK
on October 1, 2016.

Some details of the ZSK size transition have recently been presented
at the DNS-OARC, NANOG, RIPE, ICANN, and IETF meetings.[2]  If you
have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at
zms at verisign.com.

Please feel free to forward this message to anyone who might not have
seen it here.

[1] https://www.verisign.com/assets/dps-zsk-operator-1532.pdf
[2] https://ripe72.ripe.net/wp-content/uploads/presentations/168-verisign-zsk-change.pdf