MTU

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jul 22 12:53:51 UTC 2016

On 22/Jul/16 14:01, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> Obviously I only need to increase my MTU by the size of the GRE header. But
> I am thinking is there any reason not to go all in and ask every peer to go
> to whatever max MTU they can support? My own equipment will do MTU of 9600
> bytes.

See the below:

    http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2016-March/084598.html

You can reliably run Jumbo frames in your own network core, and also to
another network that can guarantee you the same (which would typically
be under some form of commercial, private arrangement like an NNI).

Across the Internet, 1,500 bytes is still safest, simply because that is
pretty much the standard. Trying to achieve Jumbo frames across an
Internet link (which includes links to your upstreams, links to your
peers and links to your customers) is an exercise in pain.

Mark.