New Office, New Network. Questions.

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 14 02:42:22 UTC 2016

To provide some additional clarity and detail:

1.	No, you can’t to the best of my knowledge hand out any IPv6
	parameters via IPv4, nor should you really want to.

2.	You can hand out IPv6 DNS resolver information from either or both
	of SLAAC and DHCPv6.

	For SLAAC, you’ll need routers that support RFC 6106. Juniper finally
	added this in 14.1.

	Cisco added it in 15.4(1)T, 15.3(2)S

	More information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_in_operating_systems

	To the best of my knowledge, DNS is a configuration option in all DHCPv6
	implementations.

3.	I disagree with Baldur about not bothering with IPv6 DNS resolvers.
	Given that the long term goal is to get back to single-stack networking,
	but with the single stack being IPv6, each and every vestigial IPv4
	dependency you leave lying around is just another thing you need to clean
	up at some point in the future. Since it’s so completely easy to enable
	dual-stack (or even better IPv6-only) resolving when you first deploy
	IPv6 to your end-systems, why not just do that?

Owen