IX in Iran by TIC

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 08:24:02 UTC 2016

On 12 July 2016 at 14:36, Bevan Slattery <bevan at slattery.net.au> wrote:
> EXAMPLE 1.
> There maybe for example an enterprise  that is looking for a service
> provider in a facility (XYZ in NY for example) but that provider actually
> "peers" their transit routers at the ABC facility down the street.  Because
> the provider doesn't peer in XYZ there is no public record of them being
> there in peering DB.  Providers are in heaps of DC's/locations that they
> just don't peer.  So they effectively have no central location where people
> can see that they are "available to service".  This is more of a directory
> of where providers are and what services they can provide.

Hmm, so maybe I'm just a maverick, we are not using any public peering
fabrics at minute due to what can only be described as a senior
management cluster foook [1], so on peeringdb we list some pops that we are
in that we are willing (and do) have private peering sessions in. It
doesn't say on peeringdb that there are IX's in some of these PoPs but
hopefully when we need to establish a private interconnect with
someone they will see we are in the same PoP as them even though there
is no IX in that PoP and put 2 and 2 together, and contact us to
discuss a cross connect.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not trying to poo poo the site, just
trying to work out where the different is feature set lies exactly.

Cheers,
James.

[1] Is this a list for adults or children, my original email bounced
back because I used the work f*ck?