packet loss question

cpolish at surewest.net cpolish at surewest.net
Tue Jul 12 20:37:22 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-12 03:25, Sean Donelan wrote:
> RFC791 was written during the internet's anti-standard era.
>
> We reject: kings, presidents and voting. We believe in: rough consensus and
> running code

Hi Sean,

Lovely quote and all, but... do you mean that when RFC791 was
drafted the IETF didn't issue 'standards'? RFC791 was written by
Jon Postel for DARPA and AFAIKT is foundational. It's referenced
by more than 420 RFCs. It begins, "This document specifies the
DoD Standard Internet Protocol." Seems about as official as
times permitted.

Point was, 576 bytes is the minimum MTU for transporting IP
datagrams. Also see RFC1122/3.3.2, which references
RFC791 of course.

Best regards,
--
Charles Polisher