IX in Iran by TIC

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Tue Jul 12 13:36:12 UTC 2016

Hi James,

I hear you.  Massive fan of peeringdb and this isn't about replacing that
(in fact love to simply integrate).

Peeringdb provides a list of registered peers in a DC that has an IX.
Great for looking at where to peer.

Cloud Scene looks at all providers (4,000+) whether they are peering or not
in any DC (4,800+ DC's)  whether they are IX enabled or not.  It is aimed
to give a full view of service providers in each facility around the
world.  Good list and growing over time.  A more detailed example is
below.  Important to note that if you are a someone that acquires/sells
backhaul, L2 tails, transit, international capacity, voice etc. then
peeringdb is not really the place to go.

Agree in this instance peeringdb is definitely the first stop.  But no harm
in covering all bases for people who are looking for colo in that market
and find the fact one DC has an IX to be of value.

Cheers

[b]

PS:  Declaration that I started Cloud Scene to help me understand better
what networks were where.  Happy to take this offline after this explainer.

EXAMPLE 1.
There maybe for example an enterprise  that is looking for a service
provider in a facility (XYZ in NY for example) but that provider actually
"peers" their transit routers at the ABC facility down the street.  Because
the provider doesn't peer in XYZ there is no public record of them being
there in peering DB.  Providers are in heaps of DC's/locations that they
just don't peer.  So they effectively have no central location where people
can see that they are "available to service".  This is more of a directory
of where providers are and what services they can provide.

EXAMPLE 2.
There are also now heaps of facilities that have no IX/fabric in them at
all.  Cloud Scene gives people access to understand who is in there which
is great from a network planning perspective to see which facility/ies they
may wish to instal their kit in.  Also it's good for IX's to look at where
they may extend their infra into.  In the next few weeks/months major cloud
providers will be plugged in too to give a more complete view of the cloud
scene in any city.

Cheers

[b]