IPv6 deployment excuses

Davide Davini diotonante at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 07:10:56 UTC 2016

On 01/07/2016 21:52, Mike Jones wrote:
> I am in contact with a couple of network operators trying to prod them
> to deploy IPv6, I figured that 10 minutes to send a couple of emails
> was worth the effort to make them "see a customer demand" (now none of
> them can use the excuse that nobody has asked for it!), but the
> replies I got were less than impressive to say the least.
>
> I was wondering if you guys could summarise your experiences with
> people who make excuses for not deploying IPv6? I regularly see a
> specific person saying "we can't deploy it because X" followed by you
> guys "correcting them" and telling them how to deploy it without the
> problems they claim they will have, but that is only a small snapshot
> of the people who bother to post about their ignorance in public. I
> suspect there is also a lot of selection-bias in the NANOG membership
> base but you deal with a lot of enterprise networks off of this list
> so probably have broader experience than the NANOG archives.
>
> Can we have a thread summarising the most common excuses you've heard,
> and if they are actual problems blocking IPv6 deployment or just down
> to ignorance? Perhaps this could be the basis for an FAQ type page
> that I can point people to when they say they don't know how to deploy
> IPv6 on their networks? :)

Our provider sale representative, who is the most tech savvy sale-rep I
ever encountered by far, which is not a very high bar, but still, said
something like:
"You shouldn't worry about that, we have plenty of IPv4 addresses
left... and besides we are "working on it(TM)"... it's going to be
deployed next year... probably "

Needless to say I'm still waiting. :)

Ciao,
Davide Davini