NAT firewall for IPv6?

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Tue Jul 5 14:54:16 UTC 2016

That is a good point.  In order for your PCs to be compromised via ipv6, they would have to be able to establish ipv6 connectivity to each other or to an internet location.

If your network is not configured to support ipv6 it will probably only be possible for your clients to communicate with each other via ipv6 on the local LAN meaning they could only be infecting each other.  In order for your clients to be receiving traffic from the Internet via ipv6 would probably require routing and ipv6 configuration support that it sounds like your network does not have.  If your firewall is passing v6 traffic, it must understand it enough to forward it across interfaces.

At this point it does not much matter whether the transport layer is v4 or v6 because this problem is higher up the protocol stack.  Setting up your firewall to bypass v6 (i.e. just pass it) was a huge tactical error (might be why your consultant is out of business :) and a bit hard for me to understand.  If you want v6 then you would apply the same policies that you do to v4 traffic and if you don't want v6 you would just tell the firewall to drop it.

I think it is much more probable that you are receiving malware via ipv4 or even executable attachments that the out of control firewall is not detecting.

I can tell you that we use the most current versions of Checkpoint firewalls with all of the malware bells and whistles (megabucks) and they are not still 100% effective all of the time.  We stop thousands of hacking and malware attempts per hour but it only takes one to become a big pain to deal with.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL